Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Invitation to Readers

 
If you went to school at Rolling Fork High School during the late 1950s or the 1960s, the Colonel's Commentary is yours.  This blog is designed to allow the sharing of stories and comments about our years of growing up in Sharkey and Issaquena counties and going to school in Rolling Fork.  The intention is that everyone should participate. There should be a sense of partnership that we all have. I thought that perhaps someone should “prime the pump” by writing stories that would encourage comments.

My first thought was that I would write a story about Colonels football. This would surely get everyone’s creative juices flowing. It at least worked very well on me. By the time I had finished, I had prepared nine stories! Once I got started, I started thinking of more and more memories. I hope this has the same effect on you.

The plan is to post one story- or blog entry- a week and have readers comment about the stories throughout the week.  We expect much of the value of the blog to be found in the comments you make.  There is so much to be added to the stories that are already prepared.  I may remember things a certain way, and you may remember additional detail I never knew or had forgotten.  Just make sure all comments are respectful and polite.  

As time goes on, we would like more stories to be submitted on various RFHS topics. Perhaps you have something to share about the Colonels band or the choir. You may remember a funny story from shop class or English. Mrs. Bishop’s Chemistry class may have special meaning for you, or you could share a first-person, Mr. Terry story. It seems so many people have one of those stories. Does Colonels, Chuck’s or Ford’s Dairy Bar evoke a memory that you’d like to share? What about taking swimming in P.E.? I wrote about football. Others may have stories related to other sports.

Stories can be from elementary school, junior high, or high school. The topics are not limited, but any story will be subject to approval before being posted on the blog.  We would like all stories to include detail and background information and be presented well.  Don’t be offended if we ask you to beef up a story before being posted.  The author of all stories will be listed.  

I was six years old when the era of the Colonels began, and some of what I have written is only a vague recollection of mine.  I am positive I have made factual errors.  We welcome discussion in the comments to correct any errors you may notice.   But more than just correcting errors, we encourage you to tell us what you remember.   The memory that you have and others may have forgotten will add so much to the joy this blog can provide.  Short memories about the topic of the story should be posted in the comments.  We request anyone with a story to tell from that era to submit a story to be posted.  

Throughout my travels, I have discussed my school years with many people.  I have never met anyone who was as fond of where he or she grew up and went to school as I was of Rolling Fork.   Friends from Rolling Fork tell me their experience is the same.  You can share your memories here.  This is your blog.  We are Colonels.

by: Kenneth Burns

The Colonel's note: Kenneth is the first submitter for the blog. He was a senior on the last Colonels football team. (RFHS Class of 1970)

4 comments:

  1. The process of being able to comment was not as easy as I thought it should be. It took me a bunch of tries. As you join, let The Colonel know that you have successfully become a member. I appreciate all the work The Colonel has done. He has agreed to post stories of mine and hope you will enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to read these remembrances about Rolling Fork. I might contribute a few myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to others signing in and posting comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think reading the stories will be fun. I'm ready for the first to be posted.If anyone has difficulty logging in to Comment, let me know.

    ReplyDelete